Storm Damage | How-to Choose The ‘Right’ Roofing Contractor for Your Roof Repair or Replacement
It’s not uncommon for thunderstorms to happen in Tampa between the months of June and September. This is the time when the area is its most humid and experiences the a majority of its rainfall. In the aftermath, the damage can be both devastating and costly for homeowners. High winds can cause shingles to lift up or blow away or your vent pipes to corrode. This will leave your roof deck exposed and allow water can get into the interior of your roof.
When damage like this occurs, it may be hard to tell if your roof requires repair or replacement, this is where an experienced professional comes in very handy. They are able to assess the damage, necessary and provide you with all the details you need to make the right decisions about your required repairs. Before you call a professional, you should understand the characteristics of a great one. Here’s a checklist to help you hire the right one.
Choose The Right Person to Handle Roof Damage
Most homeowners don’t want to just hire anyone who calls themselves a roofer. They much prefer someone who is professional, seasoned, and who has the experience to get the job done right.
Below is a great checklist to help you get started:
- Find a roofing contractor with a physical address nearby, try using Google
- Make sure your chosen professional has a business that is established
- Check out customer testimonials and/or reviews left by other homeowners
Don’t call anyone just yet! You’ll want to read the next section first.
Pricing the repair may be quite challenging, since you probably don’t work in the industry. To get the most accurate quote here’s what you need to do:
- Report the damage to your insurance company for damage and cost assessment
- Avoid hiring contractors that only do ‘work-on-the-side’ jobs, this can cost you more in the long run
- Get multiple quotes, the lowest price doesn’t mean the job will be done right
Once you’ve contacted your insurance company, met with an adjuster, assessed the actual damage to your roof, and gathered a few quotes, it will be time to contact professionals to start asking the important questions you need to know.
Ask The Right Questions
Now that you have a few professionals picked out and a rough idea of the cost of the damage, you almost have all you need. Now it’s time to contact the companies you are considering hiring to book some home visits for your estimate. You need to be sure to ask the right questions, so we’ve prepared a checklist of most frequently asked questions below.
- What type of roof repair/replacement do you specialize in?
- Do you provide me with a written, itemized estimate for the repair of my roof?
- Is your team experienced and properly licensed?
- Is your company properly insured, just in case of any unexpected problems on the job?
- What type of warranty do you offer and will you provide me with a certificate upon completion?
- Do you offer a workmanship guarantee?
- How long will my entire roofing project take from start to finish?
- What type of roofing products do you use?
- What type of roofing system will I require for my replacement and how much will it cost?
Be prepared when the next storm hits by utilizing this checklist to hire your roofing expert. You can easily find the best company to perfectly suit your needs and your budget, so long as you are sure to ask the right questions. Don’t let it cost you more in the long run, get it done right the first time!