How to Enhance the Look of Your Home with Asphalt Shingles
If you’re looking to boost the value of your home, replacing your roof is a great way to do it. A new roof doesn’t just provide better protection from leaks and storm damage — it’s also an opportunity to enhance the beauty of your home. Asphalt shingles are one of the most aesthetically pleasing roofing options you can install. They’re also one of the most durable, so you’ll be able to enjoy them for many years to come. Here’s what you need to know about asphalt shingles in Tampa.
The Difference a New Roof Makes
The roof is often the first thing you notice about a house. When it looks good, it can make the entire house look good. The opposite is true, too. An old roof that’s in poor shape or a roof that’s just plain ugly can make your home unappealing, even if your lawn is perfectly manicured and your interior looks like something out of a magazine.
For home buyers, curb appeal is everything. A stylish new roof will make your home easier to sell and can provide a significant return on your investment.
Asphalt shingles have come a long way in the last few decades. Higher quality materials and improved installation methods have extended their lifespan, and new design innovations have made a wider range of colors and styles available. Combining functionality, beauty, and affordability all in one, it’s easy to see why asphalt shingles are the most popular type of roofing.
Pick the Right Color
Compared with metal, clay, and slate, asphalt shingles have the greatest variety of color options. Choose carefully — your new shingles are an investment that you (and your neighbors) will have to live with for quite some time!
Here are some factors you’ll want to consider when deciding on the right color for your asphalt shingles:
- Your Personality: For the most part, it’s a matter of personal taste. Are you the sleek and modern type that prefers a gray or black roof, or the cozy and rustic type who would rather have brown or red? You can get all of the expert style advice in the world, but if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.
- Natural Light: Always test color samples in natural light before making a decision. That color you loved at the hardware store is going to look completely different in the afternoon sun.
- Distance: The subtle details that you love about the shingle sample in your hand may not be visible from the street. Make sure you know how your new shingles will look from a distance.
- Climate: Dark colors absorb heat, while light colors reflect it. In a hot climate like Florida, installing a lighter-colored roof can help improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Your Neighborhood: You want your home to be unique, but you don’t want it to stand out for the wrong reasons – it can make selling your house unnecessarily hard. Be mindful of the homes around you. You don’t have to match them exactly, but you do want to harmonize with them.
What Color Shingles Go Best With My House?
Of course, the most important factor you’ll need to consider is the color and style of your home’s exterior. If you aren’t sure where to begin, the following suggestions may help.
- Red Brick: For red brick homes, dark shingle colors like black, dark brown, and gray tend to pair best.
- White: If your home is white, we’ve got good news — any color you choose will look amazing! Your home is essentially a blank canvas. So whether you want to go monochrome with grey or black or add a pop of color, you really can’t go wrong.
- Cream/Light Brown: Traditional grey, brown, or black shingles, are all safe options, but a light beige or cream house may also pair well with an exciting blue roof.
- Brown/Wood: For brown homes, it’s best to stick with natural colors like grey, green, or a different shade of brown.
You’ll also want to consider any exterior accents your home may have, such as shutters, molding, or decorative brickwork. And remember, these are suggestions, not rules. Every home is unique. A light-colored roof can look fantastic with the right red brick exterior. Experiment, and compare as many samples as you can!
Select a Style for Asphalt Shingles in Tampa
In addition to color, you can also customize the style of your new asphalt shingles to get the look you’re after. There are three styles that you can choose from.
The most basic of the three style options, 3-tab asphalt shingles are flat and evenly spaced. Their uniform pattern doesn’t allow for much variety, but it is the most affordable style available.
By far the most popular shingle style, dimensional shingles are probably what you picture when you think of a shingled roof. They’re layered on top of each other to create a more organic textured appearance. Dimensional shingles don’t just look better – they perform better, too. Because they’re made up of multiple layers, they’re more robust and tend to come with longer warranties.
As you might have guessed, luxury shingles are going to be on the more expensive side. But you get what you pay for – max durability and a greater variety of designs. Luxury asphalt shingles are often designed to mimic the appearance of costlier roofing materials like slate or cedar.
They’re made up of even more layers than dimensional shingles, so while they’re more protective, they’re also heavier. Make sure your home can handle it!
Professionally Installed Asphalt Shingles in Tampa
Picking out the perfect color and style of asphalt shingles to enhance your home’s look can be a challenge, but installing your new roof doesn’t have to be. With the professional installation services from Westchase Roofing Services in Tampa, Florida, you can have the best looking and longest lasting asphalt roof in the neighborhood. We’re an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Contractor and work exclusively with Owens Corning asphalt shingles in Tampa. To learn more about our services or to request a free quote, fill out the quick contact form on our website. We look forward to working with you!